Saturday, July 16, 2011

An Out Of Body Exoerience

I am not really sure if this is something that is very specific to ME, or if other doctors have the ability to do the same thing, but, when I see a person as a patient, something happens which allows me to look at, treat, and talk to, that person differently than I look at anyone else, or even differently than I look at that SAME person in any other circumstances.  It sort of causes a "distancing" of myself, socially  from that person---enabling me, for many years now, to take care of friends and family members as patients.  People ask, "Isn't is strange to take care of someone that you know, OUTSIDE the office, as a patient, INSIDE the office?"  (Especially in the field that I am in, Obstetrics and Gynecology).  I think it is exactly the opposite--I DO have the ability to see someone outside the office, talk to them, and even socialize with them, looking at them one way, talking to them as a friend, and then as soon as the conversation turns to their medical care, and especially once the office visit begins, it's like I "turn into" this other person, and look at them, and talk to them clinically, in a completely different way.  So far this has been successful, as I have taken care of many family members and friends, and it has never felt awkward to see them again on a social basis.  I guess I take it as a compliment that I have been able to continue to have these people feel comfortable enough to continue their care with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment