Thursday, July 7, 2011

Past, Present, Future

Although this blog is jumping around quite a bit, time-wise, I am realizing that there IS information to be gotten from things that happened in the past, and that many things in the past fuel the behaviors of the present and future. That seems to be a recurring theme here.  I find it interesting that I mentioned in a prior post that it is important to me, as an Obstetrician and Gynecologist, to explain the details of how a woman's body functions, TO the women that are experiencing these functions.  I am sure that at least in part, that is due to the sore lack of information that I was given, growing up.  I was uninformed, misinformed and ill-informed about my own bodily functions.  I am not sure if it was just "the way things were", that NO ONE discussed "those things", (although I doubt it, since some of my friends seemed to have a handle on what was going on), but the first time I knew anything about a "period" that had any meaning to me, was when I experienced one---On Christmas Day, shortly after I turned 13.  I had no idea what was going on, and must have thrown away about 4 pairs of underwear before my mother noticed I was running in and out of the bathroom, seemingly horrified.  But even then---no words, no explanation--no "congratulations"--she handed me a book--a paperback pamphlet that was supposed to "explain it all to me". Needless to say--I can see how that had quite the impact.  I vowed, as I was growing up, that if I ever had the opportunity to parent children, and those children turned into pre-teens, and then teenagers, I would have actual conversations with them; and my conversations with them would not be full of things like "sin" and "bad behavior". (things that I heard PLENTY about)..I would tell them about things that I would have wanted to hear at that age---- like the proper words for body parts, like the fact that sex is NOT "dirty"...I would use words like, "emotions", "safety", "normal", "protection" and "love".   Luckily, I have had the opportunity to educate not only my own children, but many scores of teenagers and young women (and quite a few older women who had a serious lack of knowledge as well), and it has always made me feel like this knowledge has helped them make major decisions, and take control and responsibility for their reproductive health.  The rewards with my own children have been great. Although I am not under any delusions that my teenage and young adult children tell me EVERYTHING, I do know that they feel quite comfortable discussing many things about their bodies, their relationships and their health with me.  Part of that is because I am a doctor, but part of it is because they feel comfortable enough with me to trust me with that information......How wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment